Harvesting Facts: Most ground crop harvesting work involves significant bending and stooping, and also long hours in hot, dry conditions.
- Many ground crops are hand-harvested using a knife. Others are simply pulled off of the plant.
- The worker pulls vegetable from plant or soil, or cuts vegetable from stem or root.
- Frequently involves long periods of stooping, which is associated with low back pain.
- He/she then puts vegetables in container or lays bunches of vegetables along row for collection. Carries containers or armloads of bunched vegetables to collection point.
- Loads vegetables on trucks or field conveyors.
- May tie vegetables into specified-size bunches, using wires or rubber bands.
- May cut top foliage from root vegetables, using knife.
- May wash vegetables.