Pruning Facts: pruning is done in the Spring, to remove unwanted small braches (“suckers”), to stimulate growth, and to open up remaining branches to sunlight and spraying.
- Work is done using loppers, shears or other cutting tools.
- Chainsaws are used for larger cutting.
- Workers stand on ladders and sometimes in the tree.
- Climbing, balancing, reaching. Much of task time spent with arms overhead.
- Sharp tools are a laceration hazard, while duller tools are hazards for repetitive motion and other musculoskeletal problems.
- Gloves are important for hand protection, but can increase ergonomic exposures.
- Worker safety is very much dependent on the condition of tools, saws and ladders, as well as the availability of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, gloves, chaps and hearing protection for chainsaw use.